Wednesday 8 February 2012

BABY BOY

I was in Fashion Design once upon a time (before I decided that I didn't want to go into fashion) but while I was there I made some good friends. Over the summer I learned that one of the girls was pregnant. I was so excited, cause really, if anyone would be having a baby, Denise would be the one. She's the only one I knew of in our class who wants to go into children's wear. So It just seemed perfect she was pregnant.

The fashion girls had been seeing my cakes on facebook and get commenting on how they wanted to try my cakes. So when I was invited to Denise's shower, I immediately volunteered to do a cake for her. Chocolate, classic for a group of girls. Did we expect anything less?


Sadly, I forgot to take a picture. So right before they were about to cut into the cake I was like "Crap! I need a picture!" So this is why my picture isn't the best one ever. Although I must admit that my cell phone takes a decent picture.

I didn't have a name to use, cause the baby hadn't been born and I don't think they had chosen a name yet. Once I finished decorating it I had a little mini heart attack wondering if I had remembered correctly about them expecting a boy. But I was pretty sure they had. 

I saw this blog online from another girl who makes cakes and she made this really cool, really tall cake that had these circles that were half attached to the cake and folded over slightly. She used rainbow colours and I thought it looked really cool. I decided to give it a try on this case. So I made a bunch of blue circles and started "gluing" them to the cake. I immediately started regretting this idea. It wasn't like I could just stick it on and move on. I had to sit there and hold it on until it dried enough to hold the weight of the top folding over. I'm an impatient person, so this wasn't working for me. But some were stuck on already so I couldn't even change my mind. 

I forgot to mention this before, I had a wedding to go to the day before the shower. So I was decorating this cake between the wedding and the reception. I didn't have time to wait for these pieces to adhere to the cake. Then I had a stroke of brilliance. If I could find some way to hold them one while I continued on it would be perfect. I finally decided to tie a ribbon around the cake, holding the circles on. It went a whole lot quicker after that. It ended up looking something like this.


Hey, I just realized I do have pictures!

So After the ribbons were taken off it looked like this



That's cool isn't it?

On the top of the cake I went fairly simple. I marbled some blue fondant to roll out and cut the words "Baby boy" out of. And I cut a start out of  some yellow fondant to place the words around.

Lastly, I needed a border around the cake. So I rolled out a cord of fondant. I wanted to make it textured, But I had no tools yet. So instead, I used a jelly bean to make round imprint in the fondant. I'm a genius, I know. XP


My cake was a hit! Everyone loved it. By the time I made it to the dessert table my cake had disappeared. I didn't even get to have a piece. I love easy cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment