Wednesday 8 February 2012

Purple Pengu's

So, My cakes had started getting noticed by people, mainly cause I posted pictures of my works on facebook. So one day I got a message from a girl I knew through people asking me if I would make a birthday cake for her roommate. I said yes of course, cause she was paying me. So the roommate liked purple and penguins. They also wanted an apple cinnamon cake which I thought would pair nicely with my mom's caramel icing.  So, off to work I went. (Hi Ho)


(Side track moment....I really like Cam Giggigigi, whatever his name is, from burlesque. He's lovely. That's what I'm watching as I type. And I'm a little sick so my thoughts drift more easily than normal.) 

So I made up the cake. Because it was a new recipe I had to make one for myself and my husband
. The recipe had to be tasted before it sold, or else what kind of baker would I be? Anyway, can't even remember what recipe I used anymore, I just remember it was really lovely. However I learned after I had made this one that the cake, because it has huge chunks of apple in it, goes really gooey. It also had a lot of air pockets from the apples shrinking. These are not good things for fondant covered cakes. Retrospect is 20/20.

So for the design I made three different shades of purple. I covered it in the light purple and then I used one of my funky shaped cookie cutters from Ikea to make a top for the cake. In the dark purple I stamped swirls and the letter M (for Megan) and then I used gold pearl dust to make them stand out more. I'm not much of a drinker, so I don't have vodka at home o mix the pearl dust with. I do have a bottle of wine I keep for cooking, so I mixed my pearl dust with that. It had the same results. I think.

Then I made a bunch of little purple penguins for the border and in between I did one of those bubble borders I like so much.

So, Now my blog is all caught up with my dA account (Found here). For those who don't know, dA is for deviantART, which is where I post all my fashion work and photo's of my cakes. But I've gotten lazy and haven't updated my cakes in a while. So soon we'll be seeing stuff never seen before by people not on my facebook. I hope this all made sense. See Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment